Regional Human Rights Instruments
The treaty monitoring bodies of regional human rights instruments are increasingly examining states parties on their progress towards prohibition of all corporal punishment of children and confirming that these regional instruments carry an obligation to prohibit and eliminate corporal punishment of children in all settings. Relevant recommendations have been made to states by the European Committee of Social Rights and the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child, and there is jurisprudence against corporal punishment by the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, the European Court of Human Rights and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. Click on the links below for more information.
- African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights
- African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child
- American Convention on Human Rights
- Arab Charter on Human Rights
- European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
- European Social Charter and Revised Social Charter