The Universal Periodic Review’s 30th session came to an end in May 2018. Fourteen states underwent their third cycle examination, with all but two receiving recommendations on corporal punishment of children:
- Bangladesh renewed its commitment to enacting prohibition by supporting several recommendations to do so. Uzbekistan also supported a recommendation to prohibit corporal punishment of children – we are seeking official confirmation from the Government that it is committed to enacting prohibition of all corporal punishment of children, in all settings.
- Cameroon, Canada, Cuba, Djibouti, the Russian Federation, and Tuvalu all received recommendations to prohibit all corporal punishment of children and will respond before the 39th session of the Human Rights Council in September 2018.
- Azerbaijan received several recommendations to prohibit corporal punishment and gave a mixed response: it supported general recommendations to enact a full prohibition but postponed its response to recommendations that it enact the draft law on the protection of children from all forms of corporal punishment. The draft law has been under discussion since 2011.
- Burkina Faso has also given a mixed response to recommendations on corporal punishment, supporting one to combat corporal punishment and postponing its response to another to explicitly prohibit it in all settings.
- Colombia “noted” (did not support) two recommendations to prohibit corporal punishment of children in all settings, in contradiction with its international obligation to provide children with protection from all forms of violence.
- Cabo Verde, which achieved prohibition in 2013, received recommendations on the implementation of the ban. It will respond by September 2018.
Germany and Turkmenistan did not receive recommendations on the issue, having already prohibited all corporal punishment of children in 2000 and 2002 respectively.
For further details, see the Global Initiative’s individual country reports for Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Canada, Colombia, Cuba, Djibouti, Germany, Russian Federation, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, and Uzbekistan.